Applying to be a 4-H volunteer
All 4-H adult volunteers must apply and be appointed annually. Please follow the steps below to apply to be a 4-H adult volunteer.
All new 4-H volunteers must go through a screening process. Our #1 priority in 4-H is the safety of young people. We do all we can to protect young people and keep them safe while they are in our care. An important part of providing a safe environment is to conduct background checks on our volunteers and staff. Everyone that will be spending an extended time with our 4-H youth is screened. When you become a 4-H volunteer, you are part of the plan to keep our young people safe.
- Complete the online 4-H Volunteer Interest Survey in English or Spanish http://ucanr.edu/survey/survey.cfm?surveynumber=21330
- Create an adult volunteer profile on 4hOnline.* Please make sure the email address in the system is correct and one you check regularly. This is how you will receive communications.
*For Spanish: The 4hOnline system is only in English. Please fill in the paper enrollment packet in Spanish and turn it in to your club leader or county staff for them to enter it into 4hOnline for you. Please keep a copy of the paper forms for your records.
- Complete a Live-scan with the California Department of Justice.
New Volunteer Training
All new 4-H volunteers are required to take the New Volunteer Training online courses in the eXtension system before they become approved as volunteers. This interactive training series introduces you to the best practices in positive youth development that are used in 4-H. The trainings are available in English. Spanish training is now available.
After you complete and submit your 4hOnline profile, check the Family email you used in 4hOnline for eXtension login instructions. If you used a paper enrollment form, you will have to check with your county 4-H Representative for the instructions. https://campus.extension.org/
The 4-H Office reviews and approves 4-H volunteer appointments after....
- You are signed up in 4hOnline.
- You have passed the Live-Scan screening process.
- You complete all of the New Volunteer Training required in your county.
Once you are approved, the fun begins!
- Start connecting with 4-H families about your new role.
- Take advantage of 4-H resources:
- Skills development workshops
- Approved curriculum to plan your projects
- Volunteer leadership conferences
Page Last Updated: July 11, 2017